Alien Containment Units

I'm really struggling to pick up steam on this game jam.  I think the 3 month window is making me lazy and I worry I won't finish in 3 months.  Strange dynamic that...

Today I worked on Alien Containment Units.  I'm kinda breaking my own rule to start with boxes, but being a bit demotivated, I just wanted to do something fun.

ACUs are to house the aliens you captures on your run on the Mimir.  There are 3 per deck for a total of 9.  Game story-wise, since the power is out on the ship, these will have all been down and the aliens will have escaped.  Need to have some life support, panels which show which creature (and will give clues about whether they are dangerous or not) and pipes cause they look cool.

Cpl Jones wonders if he should have volunteered to test out the ACU
Gameplay wise, an ACU can be powered off (state 0), powered on (state 1) or damaged (state 2).  If damaged, you need a repair tool and some time to fix.  Once fixed, if the ACUs have power, they can be used to store aliens which have escaped.

To create the ACUs, I used primarily Probuilder again since it's such an easy workflow.  The process went like this:

1. Create cylinder, extrude and scale to get the bottom of the ACU.
2. Copy the bottom and flip over to make the top.
3. Clear cylinder for the middle, with a transparent material that's a little dirty to make glass.  Will keep working on this to make it more thematic.
4. Pipes are cylinders extruded by the end, rotated and extruded again to get a hopefully pipe-like shape.
5. Lighting via spotlight coming from above.  Not sure I like the spotlight, but the point light looked worse.
6. Particle steam that moves very slowly with a bit of gravity so it seeps down.
7. Added temporary panels from an asset set just to hold the place of what will go there.  Bottom panel will show stats on the alien that was contained there. 

Side and front views

Comments

Popular Posts